Directed by Mr Birchall, Year 9 Project Aquaponics students are creating an aquaponics system in the greenhouse located near the school bus loop. In August Mr Birchall and the students visited the Noojee Trout Farm where some “fingerlings” were purchased for the school project. The group also visited a large-scale aquaponics system which Mr Birchall is working on at the Warragul Community Garden. Students will have the opportunity to work in groups to build their own systems.
Year 9 Project Aquaponics involves:
- Designing an aquaponics system.
- Investigating parts needed for the system.
- Budgeting for the system.
- Researching the Nitrogen Cycle.
- Developing an understanding of water pH levels.
- Constructing an aquaponics system.
- Purchasing fish and seedlings.
- Feeding and caring for fish.
- Food harvesting.
It is hoped that the project will produce a harvest of fruit, vegetables and fish. Students will develop an understanding of project costing, construction, water chemistry, marine biology and food production.
UNIT ¾ OCTOBER TESTS 2014 – Flexible Learning Centre